Wellness, fitness, wellness, Have become terms that have been abused in recent years and often used as synonyms.
For some authors, well-being for an individual is its condition with respect to its ability to adapt to the environment.
The "adaptative" key introduces the concept of balance, according to which health is not a "state" but a dynamic equilibrium condition, based on the ability of the subject to interact with the environment in a positive way, albeit in continuous change Of the surrounding reality.
Following this new concept of well-being were introduced two terms: fitness and wellness.
The concept of fitness is born as a remedy to a life pattern that progress has given us sedentary and rich in saturated fat.
But the term that is quickly gaining a space in the daily lexicon and more than one part is used as a synonym for wellness is wellness, which represents an evolution of the concept of fitness.
In fact, the English term "wellness"Is coined in 1961 by Halbert Dunn by the combination of two terms"wellbeing"And"fitness.
Today Wellness is a term that means "a new lifestyle for psycho-physical well-being aimed at improving the quality of life through education to regular physical activity, balanced nutrition and a positive mental approach.
It means choosing to live well by combining the ancient adage "healthy mens in healthy body".
Wellness means well-being obtained with a healthy lifestyle, aiming at the harmony of body, mind and soul.
In fact, many authors define wellness as a psychological state rather than physical.
Among others Puczkò and Bacharov define 7 dimensions of well-being:
- 1. Social wellness, A process that tends to improve social relationships with people with whom we are confronted in different contexts: family, friendships, work, etc.
- 2. Physical wellness, A process designed to maintain a fit body through the right balance of elements such as regular exercise, minimal use of caffeine and alcohol, the right amount of sleep;
- 3. Emotional wellness, Is the process that helps to establish positive emotions and face acceptance of oneself as a person;
- 4. Wellness intellect, Is a process that intervenes on a mental and intellectual level in order to improve the understanding and acceptance of particular situations;
- 5. Environmental wellness, is the contribution made to support the quality of life and the places where we live: waste recycling, energy saving, support for the least environmental impact;
- 6. Spiritual wellness, Tends to prove the value of one's own person through behavior and facts that can send positive signals to others;
- 7. Professional wellness, Is to maintain the right and proper relationship with your work so that it is balanced with other aspects of life, more related to play and self-care.
As highlighted, the concept of well-being involves more dimensions.
We talk about wellness research in different contexts, but in particular, the pursuit of well-being is emphasized in free time.
Holiday is an important time to look for a lifestyle that contributes to the well-being of the person.
From this increasingly widespread need to devote their free time to the practice of wellness-related activities derives the birth and development of the "Wellness tourism"(wellness tourism).
The Italian text is taken from:
- Wellness tourism survey - Umbria region