Genoa (Liguria) 583.601 is a common coastal inhabitants, located 19 meters above sea level in the homonymous province, its territory covers an area of 243,60 sq km.
Genoa, the capital city of Liguria, stretches along the coast of the Gulf between Voltri to the west and Nervi to the east, while the hinterland area takes in the lower parts of the valleys of Polcevera and Bisagno.
Today's urban conglomeration is the result of several municipalities, which occurred in 1926.
The original center, which already exists in pre-Roman times, is developed around the Mandraccio and on the hill above the castle.
In the ninth century the Genoese built the first city wall and laid the foundations for the development of navigation and trade on the sea, which will bring the Republic of Genoa to become a maritime power of the Mediterranean and to create an extended domain around the Liguria.
Since the nineteenth century the largest port was flanked by large industrial facilities.
The old town is one of the largest in Europe.