Trieste (Friuli-Venezia Giulia) is a partially mountainous coastal town of 204.234 inhabitants, located 2 meters above sea level in the homonymous province, its territory covers an area of 84,50 sq km.
Trieste is an Italian city and capital of the province of Friuli-Venezia Giulia region.
It is the fifteenth Italian city by population (in December 31 2014), as well as the most populous, extensive and densely populated in the region.
Trieste, the hub of the historical and geographical region of Venezia Giulia, a bridge between Western Europe and Central and Southern, mixing Mediterranean and Central European characters.
Its port is the largest and most important of Italy and is one of the most important maritime cluster in Europe.
Its port was the main maritime outlet Hapsburg Empire, that in 1719 the recognized status as a free port.
Even today, the port remains essential for the transit of international goods.
The free port was maintained, with the name of the Free Port of Trieste, also in the peace treaty between Italy and the Allied Powers of 1947 by which was established the Free Territory of Trieste, and more than even in 1954 when the Allied Military government gave in the civil administration to Italy by virtue of the Memorandum of London.
Today it is an international hub for the flow of land-sea trade between the markets of Central and Eastern Europe and Asia.
In 2013 Trieste was the first port in Italy in terms of total volume of goods in transit, with about 56 million tons.
Trieste, facing the homonymous gulf in the northernmost part of the Northern Adriatic, is placed between the Italian peninsula and the Istrian peninsula, that is a few kilometers from the border with Slovenia.
The town is mainly occupied by a hillside that becomes mountain also in the neighboring areas to the village; is located at the foot of an imposing cliff that from the plateau of Carso 458 meters above sea level, sloping sharply towards the sea.
The town of Trieste is divided into different climatic zones depending on the distance from the sea or altitude.
Below the city's roads flowing rivers that originate from the plateau.
Free time to slide open, since the city has developed, in the second half of the eighteenth century, were channeled into special conduits and still run through the underground of today's Via Carducci (formerly Via del Torrente, in fact), via Baptists (formerly Lane Stadion), Viale XX Settembre (formerly Avenue Aqueduct), via the Seven fountains or square between Rivi.
South of the city runs the Rio Ospo that marks the geographical border with Istria.
Furthermore, the existing urban area between the railway station, the sea, "via Carducci" and Piazza della Borsa, the Borgo Teresiano, was built in the eighteenth century after the burial of former salt marshes by order of Empress Maria Theresa of Austria .
The Italian text is taken from Wikipedia