Cilento tourist area
Capaccio Paestum (Cilento) is a partially mountainous coastal municipality of 22.835 inhabitants, located at 441 meters above sea level Province of Salerno, Its territory covers an area of 113,03 sq. km.
In 2014 the municipality has requested and obtained the title of "city."
From June 2016 Capaccio He changed his name to Capaccio Paestum.
Its territory stretches from west to east from the Tyrrhenian Sea to Monte Soprano (1.082 m above sea level) and from north to south by the river Sele to Solofrone river.
The landscape is characterized, from west to east, from a long line of coast, with wide sandy beaches also 80 meters, followed by a flourishing band pinetata then by a vast plain, intensely cultivated, which comes on the slopes of the mountain range, falling within the National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano, Where there is the historic core of the country.
Climbing the SP13 meets the Sanctuary of Gethsemane and, after a few kilometers a junction allows you to reach the ruins of Capaccio Vecchio and church of the Madonna del Granato mail below Mount Calpazio.
Continuing the path we reach Capaccio (the capital), place to 419 m asl
Capaccio is enclosed in a small plateau dominated by east from Monte Soprano (1.082 m above sea level) and bounded from the west in the direction of Agropoli, from Mount Sottano.
From "Tempone square" in Capaccio Capital City you will enjoy the panorama of the plains, across the Gulf of Salerno, the Amalfi Coast and the island of Capri.
From Capaccio Capital City, descending the SP168, the so-called "Capaccio", it directly reaches the archaeological site of Paestum, The Roman city built on the Greek colony of "Poseidon".
The Paestum archaeological site is one of the main archaeological parks in the world, with a museum, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In it you can admire three Greek temples among the best preserved in the world.
It is also characterized by the presence of "Via Magna Grecia", municipal road that bisects the ancient city of Paestum and splits in two the amphitheater which is visible only to the middle, like all the rest of the city.
Already in the years 70 denounced speculation wild construction.
The name of the place, originally "Calpatium" or "caput acquis" which is set in modern times Old Capaccio, Near the "Sanctuary of the Madonna del Granato", originates from the Latin "Caput Aquae" (water source).
The modern Capaccio is mentioned for the first time in document dated 1051.
one of the families who participated in the "Conspiracy of the Barons" Not far away, on the northern slope of Mount Calpazio are located the ruins of Capaccio Vecchio, town razed by troops of Frederick II as a fief of the Sanseverino.
Later they found refuge in the home of Casali San Pietro, The actual Monticello, important industrial center since the middle of the thirteenth century and a bishopric in 1300.
Later it became a fief of Berenger, the Sanseverino, the d'Avalos of Aragon, the Grimaldi and Doria.
In 1500 the marriage to Isabella Villamarina sanctions the union with the Prince of Salerno, union lasted until the treason charge that carries the Prince to exile in Spain at the Princess of Portugal.
During 1700 Capaccio enlarges and sees the construction of numerous works, the "fountain of the three dolphins", transferable palaces, and many meeting places for citizens including, "Clock Square" is also built the Capaccio Franciscan monastery in 1743.
In 1800 with his son Costabile Carducci, Capaccio takes part in the Cilento uprisings, which sees him leading the revolt of Cilento in 1848, met his death through the treachery of a priest who makes him prisoner.
From the 1811 1860 was the capital of the district belonging to the "Country District" of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.
From the 1860 1927, during the Kingdom of Italy it was the district capital of the member of the Country Environment.
The Capaccesi beginning XX century, thanks to the reclamation of wetlands that characterized those who are now the Piana del SeleWhere they are rendered arable, working mainly on the plain in the possessions of the few landowners.
"The Italian text is taken from:
- Wikipedia (Creative Commons)