Following the restoration of the 1997, the structures of a building before the building emerged Castle of Ventimiglia, It wanted in 1317 by Count Francesco Ventimiglia.
The current building is the result of many renovations that make the reconstruction of its original appearance difficult.
A simple rectangular plan, shows the outside a mixture of styles that at that period influenced the whole architecture of Sicily.
The volume in cubic recalls the Arabic style; the square corner towers echo what Norman; the round tower refers instead to the Swabian military constructions.
In the earthquake of the early nineteenth century disappeared the merlons, Ghibelline form, dovetail, and also walls, towers and arches, now gone into ruin.
Some defensive structures of the XIII century and some rooms of the XIV century have remained intact.
In the 1920 the castle, which in the meantime had come into the possession of Baron Fraccia, passed to the municipality of Castelbuono.
Now it houses the Museum.
The Italian text is taken from:
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia