As in Venice, also in Padua in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, they were built many cafes, meeting place and reading: in 1760 were documented at least forty restaurateurs.
In the 1816 Antonio Pedrocchi, son of a bergamasco coffee maker, commissioned the famous Venetian architect Giuseppe Jappelli to extend the small coffee inherited from his father.
The new plant, which was to be the Cafe "the most beautiful of the earth", was inaugurated in 1831 and then assisted in 1836, the Pedrocchino, elegant neo-Gothic building reserved for the pastry.
The coffee from the early years became known as the "coffee without doors" and because up to 1916 was open day and night, and the friendliness just dictated by its structure: the open porch and then, with no windows, it was a kind of "transition" connected to the city.
Prices were not expensive, as the place was already very luxurious for its time, and a penny you could eat.
The owner, Antonio Pedrocchi, the first inter alia, that gas illuminated his coffee, he had a very strange way of treating customers: in fact anyone could even sit at tables without ordering and refrain to read books and newspapers, such as " the Pedrocchi Cafe "(the first of six newspapers named after the name of the Coffee), made available by the local.
Women were offered as a gift and flowers, in case of sudden rain, customers were lent an umbrella.
Caffè Pedrocchi, one of the most important European coffee and one of the few survivors among the ancient Italian coffee, rises just in the central square, including Palazzo Moroni, the Town Hall, and Bo ', home of the University, in the asymmetrical left by the demolition of old buildings.
In the excavation of the foundations and the ice they were brought to light grandiose columns, now the town museum, and several marbles were used for making coffee.
The building was adapted to a triangular shape in the heart of the city (hence the plant in the form of coffee piano).
Its stunning architecture, which mixes the neoclassical style to Gothic Venetian, with exotic lures Egyptians and chinoiserie, very popular in the nineteenth century, reflects the romantic atmosphere of the time and the architect Jappelli flair.
The north façade of the Coffee has two porches with Doric columns, preceded by four lions carved by the Roman sculptor Giuseppe Petrelli.
In the square in front of the coffee, the Jappelli, at the request of Antonio Pedrocchi, had designed a fountain with a statue of Hebe by Canova, but the project was never realized.
A steep staircase in the right loggia leads to the upper floor, or Piano Nobile.
The ground floor, intended to café, is characterized by a succession of rooms named according to the color of the upholstery (white room, red room, yellow room, green room).
Entering the coffee, to the left we find the green room and on the right the yellow room or the stock exchange, so called because you met the traders to fix prices of certain goods.
Immediately after the green room we meet the large red room, divided into three by Ionic columns of Egyptian base with ornate bench with bronze decorations, and immediately after the white room, which opens on the road in February VIII and the University, very famous for the sign of the Austrian bullet shot during the riots of '48.
The upper floor, once the site of a citizen Circle, includes a number of functional spaces decorated with historical styles of the past.
Follow each other so the Etruscan Room, the Greek Room in octagonal, round or Roman Saletta, the Hall of the Renaissance, the Hall Ercolana or Pompeian, the Egyptian Hall and the Napoleon Room, dedicated to Gioacchino Rossini, and therefore also called Sala Rossini, a real theater where stucco, curtains, chandeliers seem to take us back in time, in the nineteenth century.
In the past, every room had a precise function, such as the Etruscan room was used as a wardrobe, the Greek one for the game, the Rossini room as a dance hall and the Egyptian room for secret meetings.
The various rooms are decorated with subjects related to the style of each room: Roman views, in the Roman Room, the fresco "Diogenes and Plato's rooster" in the Greek Room, statues, sphinxes, urns and the starry ceiling in the Egyptian room.
Thanks to its central location and proximity to the seat of the coffee soon became a reference point for cultural and commercial life of the city and a meeting place for students, artists, writers and patriots.
It was also the scene of student uprisings of 1848 against Austrian dominance, as evidenced by the plaques on the wall of remembrance-white room, and meeting place for writers and artists such Nievo, Fusinato, Stendhal who even extolled the wonders Eggnog pedrocchiano, D ' Annunzio, Eleonora Duse and futurist Marinetti.
Owned by the City of Padua from 1891, the Coffee houses among the prestigious halls of the Pedrocchi galleries and the Museum of the Risorgimento and still welcomes Padua and tourists who can relive the old times atmosphere, reading one of the many newspapers available in the Hall green, tasting the delicious pastry and coffee shop, discussing politics, culture and .... life.
The Italian text is taken from: